MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES ASSIGNMENT
As part of the Business Communication course you will be required to develop a written report incorporating motivational quotes related to business communication. This written report will allow you to demonstrate your ability to (1) use information technology to solve business problems through a word processing program; and, (2) communicate effectively by producing a professional quality business document . Here is what you’ll need to do:
1. In order to demonstrate your ability to “use information technology,” you will find three (3) motivational quotes from different sources online (refer to examples on Page 2). Using an internet browser, search the keywords…business communication quotes or effective business communication quotes, etc.
2. In order to demonstrate your ability to “communicate effectively” in writing, you will develop a well-written, reflective report with the following paragraphs:
TITLE: Create a title that describes the topic of the report. Remember, the title of your report is the first impression your readers will get of your paper; therefore, you need to make sure it is interesting, informative and enticing.
PARAGRAPH 1: Introduction
How you feel about having strong, effective communication skills overall (professionally and personally). This should include 4-6 sentences of how you feel with a clear topic sentence (possibly include some of your business communication goals now and in the future).
PARAGRAPH 2: Motivational Quotes
Select three (3) motivational quotes from different sources found online. For eachquote, include the following:
· Actual quote. Use quotation marks and include the author.
· Explain how each quote you select reflects your personality and/or business communication skills you plan to use in the future. In other words, narratively explain what this quote means to you and how you plan to apply it or learn from it. This explanation should be reflective and include concrete details of your thoughts.
NOTE: You should have three separate paragraphs - one for each quote and an explanation.
PARAGRAPH 3: Conclusion/Overall Impressions
· Reiterate your thoughts on effective communication and how these motivational quotes will help you achieve your business communication goals. Remember to restate the topic sentence and to be engaging in your conclusion so it has a strong ending that leaves an impression on the reader.
FORMAT FOR WRITTEN REPORT: In order to demonstrate your ability to “produce professional quality business documents” and “to effectively use a word processing program,” you will need to follow the formatting instructions below. Read carefully to avoid losing points.
1. Report should be double-spaced. Go to PAGE LAYOUT--PARAGRAPH (click on small arrow in right bottom corner); go to Line Spacing; select Double.
2. Must use 11 or 12 point font (Arial, New Times Roman, Calibri). Do not justify the margins.
3. The report title should be BOLD, CAPITALIZED, and CENTERED. The actual quotes in the body of the report should be BOLD and/or ITALICIZED for emphasis. Do not bold any other text including the author of the selected quote.
1. You must include a page number on the second page. Go to INSERT—PAGE NUMBER. If page numbers are inserted at the bottom of the page, the first page number can be included. If page numbers are inserted at the top of the page, you must “check” different first page on formatting menu.
1. Must use proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Be sure to proofread prior to submission.
FORMAT FOR YOUR PRESENTATION IN CLASS: Select one of your three quotes of your choice and orally present it to the class. While this is an informal report to the class, reading it directly from your written document will earn you no more than a “B.” Your ability to reference your document and discuss the quote openly without reading it word by word will earn an “A’ if all other areas of the quote meets the guidelines. Expected time for oral presentation is five minutes or less.
(These are examples—please do not use the quotes below; you must find your three quotes by researching online blogs, magazines, books, etc...)
"We take communication for granted because we do it so frequently, but it's actually a complex process." Joseph Sommerville, PhD
"Communication sometimes is not what you first hear, listen not just to the words, but listen for the reason." Catherine Pulsifer
"Did you ever notice how difficult it is to argue with someone who is not obsessed with being right?" Wayne W. Dyer
"Your ability to communicate is an important tool in your pursuit of your goals, whether it is with your family, your co-workers or your clients and customers." Les Brown